SWACO programs help to create strong and resilient communities by making neighborhoods safer, more sustainable places to live, work and raise a family. We create jobs, spur innovation and help businesses and residents save money. We provide sustainability and environmentally-centered education to children. We protect the land, water and air we breathe by responsibly planning for and delivering critical waste disposal services. Above all, we promote recycling, composting and other waste diversion and reduction efforts.
The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) is seeking a passionate and experienced sustainability professional to join our team to focus on waste reduction and recycling in the business sector. Central Ohio businesses generate the majority of waste landfilled in Franklin County. This position will develop and implement innovative solutions to reduce waste generated and disposed by Franklin County businesses.
This position provides direct hands-on assistance to Central Ohio businesses, industries, public facilities and venues. Candidates should possess a knowledge of waste reduction and diversion including an in-depth understanding of recyclable materials, collection/processing technologies, and business waste reduction needs.
Candidate must possess excellent customer service skills, the ability to analyze complex information, and experience in business management. This individual must have a willingness to work in a team setting and the ability to foster collaboration with partnering organizations.
The position will be responsible for working with Central Ohio businesses, industries, public facilities and venues to assess waste reduction and diversion (e.g. reuse, recycling, composting) needs and assist with developing and implementing these initiatives. Activities include conducting waste assessments; performing analysis of waste material generation; designing diversion systems; identifying services, costs and diversion projections; assisting with implementation of best practices; training and outreach.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, environmental studies, or related field; or equivalent working experience.
- Three to five years’ experience in managing programs.
- Understanding of waste diversion and recycling programs.
- Public speaking and communication skill sets.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Familiarity with solid waste objectives, procedures, techniques, and regulations; project management; public relations; and public agencies.
- Ability to work independently.
- Affinity for team work, transparency, and collaboration.
- Ability to complete assignments on time.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to common questions or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the community.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, government agencies, and the general public by communicating effectively through speech and writing.
- Demonstrated skills in budgeting and contract administration.
- Ability to formulate comprehensive action plans by exercising sound judgment, defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions.