The City of Garland organization is made up of more than 2,000 full-time employees, working in more than 40 departments to serve members of the Garland community. As employees of Texas' 12th largest city, we serve more than 230,000 residents and 9,000 businesses, spread over a 57 square mile area. The City of Garland also operates its own electric utilities, water and wastewater treatment plants, and a regional landfill facility.
Garland is truly a unique community that has prepared for and embraced the future while staying rooted in its proud traditions of community spirit and dedication to sustaining a family-friendly environment. We are home to 60 parks, 4 libraries, the largest municipal golf course in Texas, a mall, an arena/conference facility, two hospitals and two college campuses. Garland also has major transportation infrastructure, with Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) light rail lines
Are you a progressive, innovative and dynamic leader? Join the Environmental Waste Services Department to provide high level managerial coverage including long range planning and to establish and direct programs for Landfill and Transfer Station operations. As a Landfill Director you have the opportunity to implement continuous operational improvements along emerging solid waste technology initiatives. The City offers competitive benefits, retirement, professional development opportunities and much more. Come grow with us and see where your career takes you!
Responsible for planning, organizing, and directing Regulatory Compliance, Engineering, Contract Administration/ Negotiation, and Project Management work. Also, responsible for providing high-level managerial coverage including long-range planning, establishing and directing related programs, and preparing the business unit budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Actively participate in annual strategic planning sessions. Facilitate the provision of services to citizens or other departments.
- Perform long-range planning for staffing needs, equipment replacement, and other operational requirements. Advise the Managing Director and Senior Management Leadership Team regarding the impact of proposals or operations.
- Participate in the creation and update of departmental policies, SOPs, and Permit modifications.
- Coordinate with Management in preparation of annual fiscal operating budgets.
- Analyze field operations and formulate improvements to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations. Assure compliance with facility permits.
- Prepare or review written reports and make corresponding presentations. Participate in public workshops to generate support for proposed projects and facilities.
- Decide the overall work direction for the staff and their various areas of responsibility.
- Coordinate solid waste processing operations in conjunction with planning engineering consulting staff to ensure the success of new programs and facilities.
- Represent the division in negotiations with vendors and service contracts, and participates in contract administration.
- Represent the division to the public in matters related to solid waste field operations and to private waste haulers regarding safety and operational issues.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
The incumbent works in a typical office environment with occasional outside work.
- Four-year college degree
- 7 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental or related field
- 7-10 years progressive, responsible experience in Solid Waste Management field including same years of supervisory experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of various management techniques (strategic planning, departmental organization and federal, state and local regulatory solid waste disposal compliance)
- Extensive knowledge of safety standards and precautions relating to solid waste and disposal
- Extensive knowledge of equipment, practices and procedures related to solid waste management
- Extensive knowledge of effective supervisory methods and practices
- Extensive knowledge of EWS Training & Cross-Training Program
- Proficient skill in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- Ability to plan, organize, assesses, implement, and make improvements in a large solid waste management program
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, customers, representatives from other agencies, vendors, and the general public
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports of a technical nature
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid Class C Texas driver's license
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Class A Solid Waste Technician Certification or the ability to obtain within one year of hire
Apply online at https://external-garland.icims.com/jobs/5229/post-collections-operations-director-%28environmental-waste%29/job