The Union Square Partnership is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization comprised of a local development corporation and Manhattan’s first business improvement district. The organization was founded over 40 years ago to promote the economic, residential, and cultural vitality of the Union Square-14th Street neighborhood. USP provides sanitation, public safety, economic development and marketing services,
hosts a wide-range of community events, and invests in the beautification and maintenance of Union Square Park. The organization is overseen by our Board of Directors comprised of prominent Union Square leaders from its corporate sector, academic institutions and cultural community.
The Union Square Partnership (USP) is seeking a current or recent graduate student to support organization’s efforts to make the Union Square-14th Street community more vibrant, sustainable, resilient, and inclusive. The Public Space Recycling Project Manager will have a unique opportunity to gain on-the-ground experience in the design and implementation of neighborhood-scale sustainability
and zero waste projects, partnerships, and pilot programs. The Project Manager will be deeply involved in USP’s sustainability initiatives, include launching a public space recycling pilot, supporting local businesses and properties in zero waste and sustainability goals, and engaging the broader public on these issues. This is part-time role. The Project Manager will report to the Deputy Director and will have the opportunity to work closely with the Executive Director, other USP staff members, and external partners as appropriate.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the implementation of USP’s new public space recycling initiative, which will take place for several months in summer and fall 2019 in Union Square Park. Key activities include:
- Serving as USP’s point-person for manufacturing, waste management, funder, and other partners involved in the design and execution of the pilot;
- Coordinating with Union Square Clean Team staff, spot checking vendor activities and data collection;
- Developing outreach materials, such as signage, digital content, and more, in partnership with the Marketing team to promote the pilot to residents, businesses, and visitors and educate them on best practices in recycling;
- Working with key internal and external stakeholders to develop impact metrics and evaluation approaches for the pilot;
- Supporting the Deputy Director and other staff with contract management for key external partners; and
- Consolidating key learnings from the pilot phase and developing recommendations to USP on how to scale the pilot in future years.
- Drive the planning and execution of any forums and events related to sustainability and zero waste. Activities could include:
- Designing panel formats, securing potential speakers, and prepping panelists and moderators;
- Leading outreach to businesses, nonprofits, and property owners to drive participation;
- Managing vendor relationships with event venue and any other outside partners; and/or
- Creating materials for pre- and post-forum communications.
- Conduct outreach to key USP stakeholders around significant sustainability projects and government initiatives taking place in the Union Square district. Activities could include:
- Developing tailored briefing and communications materials for different community stakeholders;
- Organizing stakeholder roundtables on specific changes resulting from key neighborhood projects; and/or
- Participating in community workshops.
- Provide administrative support for the USP team, including managing public and internal meeting minutes, generating content for USP’s website and social media platforms, responding to inbound inquires, and representing USP at occasional community meetings.
- Flexible start date for March 2019.
- Candidates must commit to position until September 2019 with the potential for extension thereafter.
- Maximum of 24 hours over 3-5 business days per week.
This is a paid part-time position.
- Current candidate in a Sustainability, Urban Planning, Environmental Science, and/or other relevant graduate program.
- At least 2-3 years of work experience focusing on sustainability, waste management, behavior change, and/or policy in the public, non-profit, or private sector environments.
- An action-oriented, entrepreneurial person who is a self-starter and can work independently, as well as in teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse array of projects with both internal and external stakeholders in a fast-paced environment and dynamically set work priorities among competing needs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to break-down and convey complex information.
- High level of professionalism and comfort interacting with Union Square Partnership Board members, executives within city government and local institutions, and business owners.
- Exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- USP is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis; however, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by Friday, March 1st. Please submit resume and cover letter via email to [email protected] with the subject line “Public Space Recycling Project Manager.” Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.