Republic gets top score from Human Rights Campaign for LGBTQ equality
- Republic Services received a 100% score and was named one of the "Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality" in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2018 Corporate Equality Index, the company announced.
- Republic was the only waste and recycling company to earn a perfect score. Last year, the company earned an 85% score. Waste Management also made the list and earned distinction as one of the best places to work for LGBTQ equality, earning a score of 80% on the 2018 index. Waste Management earned a score of 90% in 2017.
- The index evaluated companies based on non-discrimination standards, domestic partner benefits, transgender-inclusive health benefits, competency programs, public engagement with the LGBTQ community and other factors.
Between this recognition from the Human Rights Campaign and CEO Don Slager being named one of the top 50 CEOs by Glassdoor, 2017 has been good for Republic's corporate team. According to Republic, the company this year has been building on initiatives to attract a group of "diverse, talented individuals."
In a statement, Mike Huycke, senior vice president of human resources at Republic, said the company is continuing to work on its benefits programs and creating a more inclusive work environment. As employees begin to expect a more diverse set of benefits, additional steps to offer comprehensive plans and extra perks may become vital to attract the best talent.
According to the index metrics, one reason Waste Management didn't earn a perfect score was for not offering transgender-inclusive health insurance. The company got partial credit for the criteria of having an employee resource group or a firm-wide diversity council and for positively engaging the LGBTQ community.
This is the 16th time that the Human Rights Campaign has published a corporate equality index and 609 employers achieved a perfect score this year. Among all Fortune-500 ranked companies, 58% offered transgender-inclusive health insurance coverage and 53% had a "public commitment to the LGBTQ community."
- PR Newswire Republic Services Receives Perfect Score on Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2018 Corporate Equality Index
- Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index 2018
Follow Cody Boteler on Twitter